|Since we are in the fall season when everyone in a single family home is planning fall lawn services (aeration, overseeding, and fertilizer), the Landscape Committee has realized there are still some questions.
These services need to be done anytime from now until very early November. Here are the benefits of aeration:
- Stronger turfgrass roots
- Enhanced heat and drought stress
- Increased soil water uptake and use
- Improved air exchange between the soil and atmosphere
Your lawn will be easier to take care of next spring and summer because of doing this now (and doing the February & March weed treatments).
- Mow your lawn.
- The clippings should be bagged, blown or raked off the lawn – this is necessary to maximize seed-to-soil contact
- This contact is a key factor in successful germination
- If you sprayed chemicals to kill the weeds, wait 3 weeks before aeration from date of application to aeration
Common weeds which all are invasive and will spread easily if your grass is weak:
- Bermuda grass
Aeration packages normally include fertilizer and seeds.
After aeration: it is very important to water everyday for at least 20 minutes for a few weeks. The main goal is to keep the ground and seed moist while the seeds begin to germinate.