|Since we are in the fall season when everyone in a single family home is planning fall lawn services (aeration, overseeding, and fertilizer), the Landscape Committee has realized there are still some questions.|
These services need to be done anytime from now until very early November. Here are the benefits of aeration:
- Stronger turfgrass roots
- Enhanced heat and drought stress
- Increased soil water uptake and use
- Improved air exchange between the soil and atmosphere
Your lawn will be easier to take care of next spring and summer because of doing this now (and doing the February & March weed treatments).
- Mow your lawn.
- The clippings should be bagged, blown or raked off the lawn – this is necessary to maximize seed-to-soil contact
- This contact is a key factor in successful germination
- If you sprayed chemicals to kill the weeds, wait 3 weeks before aeration from date of application to aeration
Common weeds which all are invasive and will spread easily if your grass is weak:
- Bermuda grass
Aeration packages normally include fertilizer and seeds.
After aeration: it is very important to water everyday for at least 20 minutes for a few weeks. The main goal is to keep the ground and seed moist while the seeds begin to germinate.